The Historic Neely School
Following are link for the Neely School Move:
To Make a Donation to the Historic Neely School Foundation:
Mrs. Mary Neely Grissom's Vision:
Mrs. Mary Neely Grissom, President of the Historic Neely School Foundation, was born in Neelytown and grew up in China Grove, North Carolina. She has a desire to see the school building turned into a museum and be registered as a histroic site. She has a vision of a picnic area, community center and a nature trail. She is working with Alfred C Wilson and Angelo Francheschina to fulfill her vision, and the restoration project is a joint effort with the family, Livingstone College, the town of China Grove, the China Grove and South Rowan Historical Societies, and the Rural Initiative Partnership.
Neely School History:
The schoolhouse is more than one hundred years.
The historic Neely School was built in 1908 by Neely and his wife Katie Stokes McKenzie Neely. The Neelys were children of slaves and were determined to provide children in the area the education that they were denied.
The school served black children from 1908 until 1948, offering grades 1-7. The family, along with the Rowan County School System, administered the school.
The school is located off Neelytown Road just off Corriher Gravel Road in China Grove.
Photos of the school before the move:
Inside the Neely School:
Prepping for the Move: